Sunday, April 1, 2012

Back from the dead! In a few ways...

Hey! I haven't posted on here in ages. What started as kind of a group blog fell off rather fast...but the wonders of the internet have kept this blog waiting for tender care to return to it.
I've decided to come back to it to discuss my current project, which is oddly fitting to resurrecting this blog. I'm going to toy with the ancient Black Templars codex and all it's 2 editions of the game oldness! There's a lot of neat bargains and shenanagains to be found in there. I'm going to have fun with it while it lasts! I've got a marine army in the colors and emblems of my fraternity (the wonderful Phi Mu Alpha) and have yet to find a codex that lets them play how I want...until now. I've looked to Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Vanilla, heck even the Chaos codex. But Templars lets me pretty much do what I want.

Here's the list I'm messing with now. I'm going for fun, a little different than what is common these days, and taking advantage of some of the hidden gems in the codex. I'll give a unit by unit breakdown after.

Emperor's Champion-Accept any challenge no matter the odds

Marshal-Power Weapon, Bolt Pistol, Frag Grenades, Iron Halo, Artificer Armor, Terminator Honors

10 Initiates, 10 Neophytes-Meltagun, Powerfist, Frag Grenades

5 Initiates-Lascannon, Plasmagun

5 Initiates-Lascannon, Plasmagun

5 Terminators-2 Assault Cannons, Tank Hunters

5 Terminators-2 Assault Cannons, Tank Hunters

Dreadnought-Venerable, Tank Hunters, Twin Linked Lascannon, Fist, Extra Armor

Predator Annihilator-Heavy Bolter Sponsons

Predator Annihilator-Heavy Bolter Sponsons

-1749


So yeah there she is. Let's break it down with my thoughts.

HQ
The Champion is required and that oath is the no brainer its always been. Re-rolling to hit in close combat across the board is a winner, and he's not bad himself with his 2+ 4++ and s6 Power Weapon attacks.

The Marshal is also really just there to fill a spot, but I feel I've kitted him out to be pretty effective. His 2+ and 4++ matches the Champion and he gets a pretty impressive 6 Power Weapon attacks on the charge.

These guys both will hang out with the big 20 man squad of troops. The power fist in there isn't great, getting only one attack, but it's cheap and re-rolls to hit so it could still be effective. I'm not sure yet weather to keep the meltagun or make it another power weapon...I guess we'll see after some playing. This unit is fairly straight forward though. Lots of bodies and attacks with two fairly nasty characters to help out.

Next up is the little las plas squads. Kickin' it old school. Templars are the only codex that can still do this without a full 10 man squad, and it's stupid cheap with each squad coming in at a mere 101 points. They'll be great for sitting on objectives and sniping away all game.

The things you can do with Terminators in this codex are pretty silly. I'm not even going to touch Assault Terminators with all that nonsense. 2 Assault Cannons is nasty enough, but with Tank Hunters they're effectively s7 against vehicles. Yuck! This unit will damage armor 14 on average at least once every time they fire, and will blow lesser armor to pieces. The Cyclone launchers might be better in some cases (4 s9 missile shots!) but I'm going with these for the utility. Not only can they blast open tanks, but this is some serious horde control potential. If they get into assault, hey they're Terminators...that re-roll to hit. And have s9 Power Fists against armor. Fun fun! I'll take 2!

The Dreadnought is mostly for fun as he's a bit pricey for what he does, but he's still pretty cool. He can snipe tanks while he advances with a Tank Hunters twin linked Lascannon (so really s10), effectively has s11 against armor in hand to hand, and will be fairly survivable due to venerable. He may get dropped down to a standard dread without the venerable and tank hunters, but for now he's kitted out.

The Predators are fairly standard. I stuck them in because I wanted some heavy armor to back up the army, and because I have the models. I'd like to use some Landspeeder Typhoons, which are only 70 points each in this codex, and a pair come in at only 5 more points than one of the Preds. But alas, I don't have the models. Maybe I'll switch one out eventually.

So that's the list. I'll play it with the Terminators flanking the Dread out front, the blob behind them to collect cover and counter charge, and the shooty units in cover shooting things. Genius, right? The army has a decent 5 Lascannons (3 twin linked) and some other nasty shooting that should be able to handle many things, and can kick a fair amount of butt in close combat. I hope to play it soon and will be sure to let all my readers know how that goes. I'll also hopefully get some pictures up too!

Thanks for reading, and please drop me a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment